Saturday, February 16, 2013

Best Way to Slice Bread

I've been making my own bread for decades. Yes, that does age me a bit. I used to freeze the loaves of bread for several hours and then slice them with a bread knife. Sometimes I froze them too long and it was hard to cut through. Sometimes they weren't frozen enough and my knife would squish the bread as I sliced it. Then I started using my Bosch food slicer.
It did an o.k. job but often would leave a jagged edge along one side of the bread and then would pulverize the last few slices. It was a mess to clean up as well with crumbs hidden in all the crevices of the machine. I even considered buying a commercial bread slicer.
After all, my bread just had to look like it was NOT homemade but a smoothly sliced rounded loaf of perfection. But even the $1500 price tag for a used machine was a bit too much for me and then I'd have to leave it in the garage with the mess and then all sorts of creatures would get into it and eat the crumbs. The thought of it made me sick.

So then one day a neighbor brought me a loaf of her homemade bread and we got to talking about baking our own bread and how we sliced it.  She used her electric knife. What? Why didn't I think of that? She didn't have to freeze it or anything. I could have saved myself all sorts of stress throughout the years. And so, that's how I slice my bread.
It works perfectly. Sometimes a solution is so simple, you just don't ever discover it until way too late.

2 comments:

  1. Such a simple way to do it! I can't believe you thought about getting an industrial one, that's pretty funny. Your bread does look amazing in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slicing bread by hand is likely the most preferred method used. A bread model provides the easiest and most efficient way to bake all varieties of bread. click here

    ReplyDelete