Sunday, January 27, 2013

Make Your Own Dog Potty

If you have to have the best dog potty and often go over the top in getting just what you want then read on. If you want to do things the cheapest way possible, then skip this post and just go to Petco or Petsmart and buy one.

I have spent hours on the internet trying to find the very best dog potty for Zsa Zsa since I am trying to baby her after her bout with congestive heart failure. Most of the ones I found were too small for two dogs to use at the same time and since Zsa Zsa has a sister, Sasha, this was an important consideration. Since I now have to take Zsa Zsa out 7-8 times a day and must descend 16 stair steps down and outside to the potty and then back up again, I didn't want to take Sasha out an additional 4 times by herself. After all, my knees aren't in the greatest of shape and I need to baby them too.

On the internet I found a few larger dog potties that looked pretty nice but they were pretty pricey, over $100 and the grass on them didn't look that natural, and I never found one as large as what I ended up with. The solution was to spend a lot of time and research to build the perfect dog potty myself.

First, you need a base to hold a piece of sod or artificial turf where the pee is going to collect. Yes, that sounds a bit graphic but essential. I first bought a GE 30 x 32 x 2-inch washer pan from Home Depot for $22. It was o.k. but when I got it home and started looking at it, I couldn't picture two dogs doing their duty on it at the same time. It seemed a bit small. But I didn't have any other promising options at the time so I kept it while continuing to shop.

Next I needed a piece of good looking sod. Home Depot had some artificial turf that was unbelievably realistic and so nice I wouldn't mind having it in my family room as it was so soft but I had to buy a minimum of a 15-foot wide roll and I needed 3 feet wide so I would end up with 45 square feet at $3.99 per square foot. For a total of $179 resulting in enough sod for 5 dog potties, I couldn't justify the expense. I kept looking and took the chance on ordering this over the internet from Amazon, a piece of 36 x 36-inch Incase brand artificial turf. Yep, I know, $54 bucks. The doggies are worth it. But it actually turned out to be pretty nice, soft and fairly thick and realistic. It didn't have the thatch look like the Home Depot stuff but since I needed a smaller piece than a roll of 15-foot sod, I had to pay the price. The ideal thing would have been to find a remnant of a job done locally but I also tried that and couldn't get anyone to call me back.

So now I had a 36 x 36-inch piece of sod I liked but a 30 x 32-inch washer pan that would require me to trim the sod. Ouch, after I paid $6 a square foot for it, I couldn't do that so I later found this larger 38 x 38 x 2-inch Diversitech plastic condensate drain pan on the internet. Notice the white PVC drain at the right. We'll talk about that later.

It just happened that Grainger had a local store so I called them and they had one left in stock. Since I was the only woman in the store, the guy helping me at the counter wondered why I needed it and he seemed a bit bewildered when I told him I was making a dog potty. On the way home, I returned the 30 x 32-inch washer pan to Home Depot.

Next was finding some kind of layer of something that would hold the fake turf above the bottom of the pan so the grass wouldn't sit directly in the pee. After all, most dogs don't want to wade in sopping wet grass. I first considered these Pooch Pads for the base as you can wash and reuse them over and over again but they are quite expensive and although I will spare no expense for my dogs, this seemed a bit over doing it. I may, however, consider it in the future if the present configuraton results in rust and gets yucky. So back to Home Depot where I found this metal lath. It wasn't quite wide enough for my pan but the price was right at $7 and since it was 8 feet long I ended up cutting two pieces with my tin snips and overlapping them.

With the metal lath all nicely trimmed and laying in the pan, I put in the artificial turf and it was a perfect fit as the inside dimensions of the 38 x 38-inch pan were 36 x 36 inches. Voila!
Now about the white PVC drain that you see on the right. Notice that I have lined it up to the very edge of the deck. When the pee gets high enough to reach the drain, it will just spill over the edge to the grass below. To clean it, I can take a pitcher of water and rinse it out, tip it slightly and it will dump over as well. Hopefully no one will be walking under the deck at the same time.

If I become overly ambitious this summer, I may actually add a PVC pipe down to the lower patio and spare the possibility of anyone getting dumped on.

13 comments:

  1. Nice work! I'm sure that this will make life much easier for both you and Zsa Zsa. I'm glad that she is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I hope she likes it! It will be so nice to not have to walk downstairs every time she has to take a leak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. That seems to be right. So far she will pee on it but not poo on it. I wonder how long she can hold it. It has been more than a day now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All is well. Both dogs now use it regularly and my knees are happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheryl, this sounds very interesting, and I appreciate the detailed instructions. How is it holding up for you? In particular, how quickly does the artificial turf start to smell, and how do you clean it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pan is holding up well. The plastic condensate drain pan still looks new but the metal lath is discolored due to the corrosive nature of dog pee. The smell differs, depending on how hot it is outside. If it's in the 90's then after about 5 days it starts smelling rank when you get up close to it but in the cold of winter, it's not as noticeable. About every 2-3 days I pick off the poo when they've dried a bit with gloved hands and flush them. I clean it once a week with a garden hose that I drag up on the deck. I spray out the base and then soak the grass really well and let it hang over the railing to drain a bit. But I definitely would never put this potty in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheryl, thanks for the helpful response! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.

    Sod California

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making this for my two labs this week. But using the 62x38.
    Trying to decide on regular sod vs synthetic. Its on a covered deck.
    My poor old dogs cant walk down steps anymore and at 85lbs each I cant carry them.
    Do you think the mesh does anything?
    I thought about lining with crushed gravel for drainage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the synthetic sod. It has little drain holes in the bottom. Real sod will eventually die and look brown and awful. I have found that the mesh raises it a bit but not enough to warrant buying it. The mesh in my dog potty has rusted and I'll probably toss it out eventually. The synthetic sod is dense enough that I don't think it really needs that extra lift from the mesh. Crushed gravel will make it very heavy and it will be hard to rinse out and dump.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some people put dog pee pads in the bottom under the grass and then just throw them out in the garbage. That would be better than gravel in my opinion, and I might do that next when I get rid of the rusted mesh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow its so amazing thanks for sharing with us...AstraliaSyntheticTurf

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how simple and easy to follow the instructions in this guide are. There really is labor of love whenever you go DIY. In addition to this, I found another alternative DIY variation that you may also want to try and you can read it here: http://dogsaholic.com/care/diy-dog-potty.html

    ReplyDelete